Here’s a story from a junior who gave up smoking the hard way!
My friend Matt and I decided to go to our grass hut in the sandpit off Jade Park to smoke a cigarette. After lighting up, we threw our matches onto the ground.
Later, as we were walking down the hill, Matt smelled burning grass. Turning around, we saw that the hillside had caught fire. We raced back up and tried jumping on the flames to put them out and received first-degree burns on our arms and legs. Others began arriving as we stripped off our shirts, put them in a mud puddle, and raced back to the fire. By the time the fire truck arrived, we’d already taken out half of the fire, but it was still spreading quickly with plenty of dry grass and dead trees to feed it.
More than half of the sandpit burned, but no one was seriously injured. When a policeman interviewed us, we told him the truth. Then our parents had a very long talk with us.
Three weeks later Matt and I went back to the fire zone and saw beautiful new growth. Because the dry grass had been burned up, fresh grass and trees could take root. God brought something good out of something bad.
As for Matt and me, we’re thankful that the Lord took pity on us and helped us to quit smoking, because it was a bad habit.
JAKE WEAVER 14, Alaska
God can bring something good out of anything and anyone.